Mining Rocks Video Contest
The Mining Association of Nova Scotia is pleased to announce that the Mining ROCKS! Video Contest is back for a fifth year!
The contest, which is open to all junior high and high school students in Nova Scotia, will award $8000 in prizes again this year. Students can produce either a 1-3 minute video, or a 30 second commercial, about mining and quarrying. The videos can explore a range of aspects about the industry, including economic importance, employment opportunities, environment and reclamation, historical facts and beneficial end-uses of mining products. Essentially, students can focus on any subject about mining and quarrying found on our educational website: www.NotYourGrandfathersMining.ca.
The winner of each category wins $750, the 1st runner-up wins $500, and the 2nd runner-up wins $250. Here’s a breakdown of the prizes:
• Best Junior High School Video wins $750 – 1st Runner-up wins $500 – 2nd Runner-up wins $250
• Best High School Video wins $750 – 1st Runner-up wins $500 – 2nd Runner-up wins $250
• Best Comedy Video wins $750 – 1st Runner-up wins $500 – 2nd Runner-up wins $250
• Best 30 Second Commercial wins $750 – 1st Runner-up wins $500 – 2nd Runner-up wins $250
• The People’s Choice Award wins $750 – 1st Runner-up wins $500 – 2nd Runner-up wins $250
Plus, if students get their videos in by January 11, 2019 they will be entered into a draw to win TWO $250 “early bird” prizes.
Each year we have a very diverse group of people who agree to serve as judges, including Membertou Chief Terry Paul, Minister of Energy and Mines Derek Mombourquette, and a range of film and media experts.